I am a professional software developer. I don’t like talking about myself much and even the short summary below I consider to be bragging which I am personally not fond of myself.
However as I do a lot of mentoring and teaching of new developers I am constantly asked to introduce myself and provide some background. So here is a very small summary:
This nickname was given to me by coworkers. Any spot, cubicle, or desk you give me, will not confine me for long. I will soon grow my workspace beyond this area. You can toss stuff back in, but it will soon spread again….. What is kudzu you say?
- Continually programming since 1980.
- Creator and chair of several large widely used Open Source libraries and projects including COSMOS (C# Open Source Managed Operating System), X#, IL2CPU and Indy.
- Know dozens of programming languages and once introduced at a conference as “knowing more programming languages than a UN translator knows spoken languages.”
- Have contributed to several books (now long out of print, 1990s) on programming and author of Indy in Depth.
- Former Regional Developer Adviser (DPE) for Microsoft Middle East and Africa with a territory of over 85 countries spanning 4 continents and 10 time zones.
- Former Microsoft Regional Director.
- Former popular conference speaker worldwide. I have spoken at several hundred conferences and regularly spoke to crowds of 5,000 or more. (now retired)
- Have taught software development at Primary, Secondary, and University levels.
- Microsoft MVP.
- Have performed significant software development work for or been employed by:
- Microsoft, Borland, Eastman Chemical, Kelly Services, Morgan Stanley, Triple Point Technology
- Have started and operated:
- An internet service provider (mid 90s), a regional sales service and repair center for MSI, and various software consulting companies.
Life & Travel
- Have lived in Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, Switzerland, France, Jordan, Russia, Turkey, The Caribbean, and USA. In the USA I have visited more than 40 states and have lived in Tennessee, Texas, Missouri, Florida, Connecticut, and Painsylvania (misspelling intended).
- Have visited nearly 70 countries, visiting most of them several times.
This map is outdated, but shows some of the countries I have visited.
- My Microsoft MVP Profile
- My MSDN Blog (Last updated 2006)
- Archived KudzuWorld (Last updated 2010)
- My CodeProject Profile (Author Status Legend)
- My Github Profile
Googling me will turn up tens of thousands of hits, but here are a few of the more visible ones:
- 2017 – My ITUnity Champ Award (Mary Jo Foley)
- 2016 – My Interview and Demo on Microsoft’s Channel 9
- 2008 – My Interview with Mary Jo Foley
- 2008 – Tiny Managed Operating System Edition (Scott Hanselman)
- 2007 – CIO.COM The Future of Foxpro
- 2002 – Interview with Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu
Open Source Projects
These are not simply Open Source projects that I contribute to. Each of these were started by me and are currently chaired by me.
- C# Open Source Managed Operating System (COSMOS)
- IL2CPU – Compile .NET code to cross platform or Windows binary.
- Internet Direct (Indy)
- X# – High Level x86 Assembler.
I have been involved in many commercial products as well as custom in house development. Currently I am involved in:
- CrossTalk – Connect Delphi & .NET.